Thursday, 1 September 2011

There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) - Eurythmics



I've been going through a bit of a pop resurgence lately. There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) from 1985 typefies the 80s sound and presents it in an upbeat, positive package sans cheese. Eurythmics (not The Eurythmics, as they are commonly yet incorrectly called) were far better musicians than their synthesised demeanours suggest. One thing's for certain, no-one else has a voice like Annie Lennox; no-one even comes close, but that's not all there is to this duo. 

There Must Be An Angel is my favourite Eurythmics song (but a few of their other numbers are not far behind). To me, it is a complete package which builds from the instantly identifiable intro right through to when it fades out while still on such a high. Hear how the bridge into the solo builds and builds - more of a stairway to heaven than another cliched songs I could name. I have listened over and over (and over) to the chunky piano octaves leading into the superbly spine chilling harmonica solo by Stevie Wonder, who also jams an amazing outro. *drool*

No comments: