Saturday, 10 September 2011

She Believes In Me - Kenny Rogers



I have always said that if you're doing to do country music, there are only two ways to do it: Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. I stand by that statement and you'll come to see why I have such respect for these two musicians as this blog evolves.

She Believes In Me was released by Kenny Rogers in 1979. It's technically not a country song and more of a pop ballad in style but, for me, almost anything associated with Kenny Rogers becomes synonymous with country music. From the gentle piano introduction to the sad, heartfelt vocals, this is a love story of the sincerest kind and that is the essence of country music. A woman supports her man night after night to achieve his dream of being a musician, even though success is constantly eluding him. I know first hand how hard it is to be in a relationship with a musician so this is truly admirable. Even when he begins to secretly doubt himself, her faith in him keeps him going. Isn't that the stuff dreams are made of?

Why is this song playing on Café Chick's Jukebox today? I was catching up on some tv this afternoon and watched Kenny Rogers: The First 50 Years. I'm not usually big on tribute shows (give me the original any day, I say) but was really impressed with Tim McGraw's version of She Believes In Me. McGraw captured the sincerity of Rogers' original while adding his own stamp to it. Hear for yourself:

No comments: