Friday, 23 September 2011

Reckless - Australian Crawl



I might say this a lot, but I really mean it when I say that Reckless by Australian Crawl is one of my favourite songs of all time. The lyrics left me always wanting to catch the Manly Ferry to Circular Quay the next time I was in Sydney, something which is not as glamorous as this song makes it sound.

From its simple start featuring nothing but fretless bass, kick drum and a gated snare, the magic of this song is largely in the gaps between notes ; teasers, if you like, or pregnant pauses filled with anticipation. (Gosh, that's poetic for a Friday!) The bowed cello parts are complemented beautifully by a lightly plucked nylon acoustic guitar, which comes to the fore and steals the scene during the classical style solo and outro. Pure magic.

No comments: